There has been a recent increase in two types of scam activity that we want to alert you to.
1. PRIZE SCAMS- you receive notification stating you have won a significant prize but:
• Scammers ask you to wire money or send a check or cash to pay for “fees” in order to get your prize.
• Scammers will send you a “fake” check that they want you to deposit and then send back to them a portion of that amount. The check they send to you is not legitimate and will be returned. You will have to repay the Bank.
• Scammers use the name of a well-known company such as Publisher’s Clearinghouse to try to make the prize seem real.
2. PHONE SCAMS- you receive a phone call from an unknown person who is very friendly and acts like they know you:
• They ask for personal information such as bank account, credit card and social security
• They use pressure to gain the information or to convince you to do something for them.
In either of the above cases, DO NOT share any of your personal information. Hang up on them and notify the police!